Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this article


Home > News > PTI

Shibu Soren guilty in murder case, quits cabinet

November 28, 2006 18:05 IST
Last Updated: November 28, 2006 19:46 IST


Union Coal Minister Shibu Soren was on Tuesday held guilty of involvement in the killing of his private secretary Shashi Nath Jha 12 years ago by a Delhi court in the first such conviction of a Union Minister in a murder case.

Soren stepped down from the cabinet after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh sought his resignation in the wake of the verdict.

Others convicted in the case are -- Nand Kishore Mehta alias Nandu, Shailendra Bhattacharya, Pashupati Nath Mehta alias Posho and Ajay Kumar Mehta alias Dillip.

Additional Sessions Judge B R Kedia found Soren, who is also chief of Jharkhand Mukti Morcha, guilty of kidnapping and hatching the conspiracy to kill his secretary.

According to the CBI case, Jha was abducted from Dhaula Kuan area in the capital on May 22, 1994 and taken to Piska Nagari village near Ranchi where he was killed.

In the chargesheet filed on November 10, 1998, CBI said Jha was 'killed' as he knew about the alleged JMM-Congress deal to save the Narasimha Rao government in the July 1993 no-confidence motion and was demanding his share in the deal.

Jha was apprehensive of the threat to his life from Soren and his family members and had told his mother Priyambada Devi and brother Vijay Nath Jha about it, CBI said.

"Jha had been putting pressures on Soren to get much more financial favours in lieu of his knowledgeof secrets and illegal financial dealings of Soren," CBI chargesheet alleged.

On August 13, 1998, CBI claimed recovery of Jha's Skeleton from Piska Nagari village near Ranchi. The report submitted by forensic science laboratory, Hyderabad, had opined that the skull of the skeleton could have belonged to Jha.

The "abduction-cum-murder" case was registered on June two, 1994 with the parliament street police station here on a complaint lodged by Amar Nath Jha, elder brother of the deceased.

It was subsequently transferred to CBI by the orders of Delhi High Court on a writ petition filed by Jha's mother.

However, the court acquitted two others -- Sunil Khaware and Asish Thakur. Soren, 62, was present in the court when the judge pronounced the verdict.

Earlier, in his tenure in this government, Soren had to resign after a Jharkhand court issued a non-bailable warrant against him in connection with a case of murder during a protest agitation in the early 80's.

He is on bail in the case and was re-inducted into the Cabinet early this year.



© Copyright 2006 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.
Share your comments


 What do you think about the story?




Read what others have to say:


Number of User Comments: 31




Sub: Soren -Our system is useless.

It takes 12 years for a criminal case to come up for judgement and to make things worse this criminal will get bail, he can ...


Posted by RM





Sub: Shibu Shoren Convicted for murder

What great paragon of virtue and a role model to be kept as Union Minister!With the intelligence wing under his command the PM would not ...


Posted by S.Ramaswamy





Sub: Good work by CBi

Kudos to CBI for the good work and also to Manmohan Singh for asking the guilty minister to resign from the Cabinet. On a sad ...


Posted by ramanan





Sub: Pathetic situation

Its really strange to know that these guys elude legal charges agaisnt them. Inspite of the whole world knowing about such people's heinous act of ...


Posted by Wellwisher





Sub: sebo soren

Jaisa karogey ,waisa bharogey.


Posted by meer azher ali




Disclaimer

Advertisement






Copyright © 2006 Rediff.com India Limited. All Rights Reserved.