|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Court blasts: HC notice to UP admn, Centre
November 27, 2007 20:09 IST
Taking suo motu action following last week's bomb blasts, the Allahabad High Court has sought an explanation from the Uttar Pradesh government on security measures around courts and from the Centre why there were no intelligence inputs about the 'planned' terror strikes.
It also directed the state government to beef up security in all its courts.
A bench comprising Justices Amar Saran and Vijay Kumar Verma issued a notice to the Principal Secretary (Home) and Director General of Police on what security measures were being taken around court complexes returnable in four weeks' time.
Another notice sent to the Centre through the Additional Solicitor-General asked why the central intelligence agencies 'could not provide intelligence inputs' to the UP government about these planned terrorist attacks' on November 23.
"A response is needed from both the state and Central governments as to how they propose to improve coordination in future so that information about terrorist activities are more readily shared and concerted efforts are made for apprehending terrorists," the court said.
It also expressed 'sorrow' on the action taken by lawyers in denying justice to people by going on strike and thrashing the Jaish-e-Mohammad militants arrested in Lucknow.
"A section of lawyers engage in arson and destruction of public property or pre-judge suspects as guilty based on media reports without allowing them to face trials and administer a beating or refuse to provide legal assistance to them in violation of the Advocates Act," it said.
It asked the UP Bar Council to respond to what measures it proposes to take to address the issue.